MATRILINEAL #MEGHALAYA IS HOME TO HIGHEST RATES OF SEXUAL VIOLENCE IN THE HILL STATES OF #NORTHEASTINDIA
11th January 2017
The Chief Minister,
Govt. of Meghalaya
Subject: Citizens Demands on curbing Trafficking of Minors and Sexual assaults on women and children in the state
The people of Meghalaya are horrified at the recent incidents of Trafficking and Sexual Assaults on minors involving elected representative and other influential people. This is not an isolated incident. Sexual violence and assaults on minors and women in Meghalaya is reaching an alarming proportion. Shamefully, National Crime Bureau’s statistics show that in the North Eastern Hill states, Meghalaya has the highest rate of crime against women and children. But the state’s response to this has been lackadaisical at best. It is time that your government takes decisive and pro-active action against this.
We demand that:
- You should seek immediate resignation of your Home minister Mr H D R Lyngdoh to ensure an independent enquiry into this case as the guest house owned by his immediate family was the place where the minor girl was trafficked and assaulted twice.
- POCSO Act 2012 along with the Criminal Law Amendment Act 2013 should be properly invoked to ensure that investigations are carried out in a time bound manner as prescribed by law and that anyone interfering with the course of investigation and justice should be made liable be it police or others.
- Government should immediately set up fast track/special courts in all the districts of the State to ensure speedy and timebound justice to the victims of violence and trafficking.
- Government should immediately notify Internal Complaints Committee/Local Complaints Committee in all offices and districts under the Sexual Harassment Act.
- Government should actively create awareness at all levels including schools and colleges and traditional institutions regarding laws on Sexual Violence and rights of the victims.
- All guest houses and hotels be it private or govt. named by the victim as places where she was taken to should be immediately shut down pending inquiry and licenses revoked and owners booked and blacklisted when implicated. NOCs issued by any authority should be revoked.
- Mandatory guidelines and laws regarding safety and security protocol to be followed by all hotels, Guesthouses / Bed and Breakfast and home stays should be immediately notified.
- Tourism and skill development policies of the state that encourages and drives persons towards engaging in activities aimed at sexual exploitation and abuse should be reviewed.
- A 24×7 hotline no. should be immediately set up with the State Commission for Protection of Child rights where complaints on trafficking and sexual exploitation of minors can be lodged.
We trust that these demands shall be pro-actively met.